|Created by:|| Laurie McCarthy |
|Written by:|| Laurie McCarthy |
|Main Cast:|| Adelaide Kane
|Country of origin:||
|No. of Seasons:||
|No. of Episodes:||
|About the Show|
|Networks:|| The CW |
Hidden between the lines of the history books is the story of Mary Stuart, the young woman the world would come to know as Mary, Queen of Scots. Queen of Scotland since she was six days old, the teenage Mary is already a headstrong monarch - beautiful, passionate, and poised at the very beginning of her tumultuous rise to power. Arriving in France with four close friends as her Ladies-in-Waiting, Mary has been sent to secure Scotland’s strategic alliance by formalizing her arranged engagement to the French king's dashing son, Prince Francis. But the match isn't signed and sealed: it depends more on politics, religion and secret agendas than affairs of the heart.
Prince Francis is intrigued by the fiery Scot, but like most young men, he resists the idea of settling down into marriage, especially when he has a history with a lady of the court and his own point of view on the wisdom of an alliance with Scotland. Still, an attraction between Mary and Francis is ignited. Further complicating things is Bash, Francis' roguish half-brother, who has a history of his own - despite his illegitimate birth, Sebastian is his father's favorite. And now that Bash has caught Mary's eye, a royal triangle may be forming. While at French Court, fierce foes and dark forces conspire to sabotage Mary’s marriage to Francis and even threaten her life, until a mysterious shrouded guide becomes her ally. With danger and sexual intrigue around every dark castle corner, Mary rallies her ladies-in-waiting and steels herself, ready to rule the new land and balance the demands of her country and her heart.
In 1557, The Young Queen Mary Stuart of Scotland arrived to France accompanied by her four best friends and Ladies-in-Waiting. She is to be engaged with Prince Francis II to get the French in an alliance needed to protect Scotland. However, things between Mary and Francis are not simple and, although they are attracted to each other, Francis remains hesitant to keep his life, and have his affairs. Sebastian, Francis' half-brother, complicates matters when he starts falling for Mary. This, together with King Henry's infidelity, makes Queen Catherine De'Medici seek help from the seer Nostradamus. He scares her with a prophecy about her son's death, she becomes determined to save Francis' life at any cost. Conspiracy, sabotage, mystery, and sex show the details of the French Court as Mary learns to deal with each and every one.
France, 1557. Mary, Queen of Scots has been hidden away at a convent for her safety since age 9. Engaged since childhood to the future King of France, she awaits her return to the French Court.
- Queen Mary - The young Queen of Scotland, and now Queen of France.
- Queen Catherine - the Queen Mother of France and a member of the wealthy and prominent Medici family.
- Sebastian - The bastard son of the last king, Married to Lady Kenna, and now King's Deputy to his brother.
- King Francis - The New King of France, and husband to Queen Mary.
- Lady Greer - A lady-in-waiting for the Queen of Scotland, and the new wife of Lord Castleroy.
- Lady Kenna- A lady-in-waiting to the Queen of Scotland, former mistress to the last king, & wife of Bash.
- Lady Lola- A lady-in-waiting for the Queen of Scotland, and mother of king Francis' only child.
- Leith Bayard - Former kitchen servant for the French Court, and current War Hero.
- Louis Condé - Cousin to King Francis, and secretly-in-love with Queen Mary.
- Lord Narcisse - A very rich noble who owns 90% of the grain, and an enemy of the Crown.
- Princess Claude - Youngest surviving daughter of Catherine, with an arranged marriage to Louis Condé.
- Lady Aylee - Served as a lady-in-waiting for the Queen of Scotland.
- King Henry - The former king of France.
- Nostradamus - A close friend to the last Queen of France and is valued for his gift of sight and prophecies.
- Lord Castleroy - 15th in-line to the throne, A very rich noble, and husband of Lady Greer.
- Clarissa - known to be the 'castle ghost' and the secret love child of a royal.
- Olivia D'Amencourt - Former lover of Prince Francis and an escapee of The Darkness.
- Diane de Poitiers - The last King's official mistress and mother to their illegitimate son, Sebastian.
- Lord Julien - The deceased husband of Lady Lola.
- Marie de Guise - Acting Queen of Scotland and mother to Queen Mary.
- Prince Charles - Next-in-line to the throne, younger brother of King Francis.
- Prince Henri - The third in line to the throne, and younger brother of King Francis.
Reign Episode GuideEdit
Main article: Episode Guide
- See Full Cast
- Thor Knai as Count Philipe Nardin
- Jackson Hodge-Carter as Prince Henri
- Sarah Winter as Yvette Castleroy
- Tahmoh Penikett as John Prevo
- Amy Brenneman as Marie de Guise
- Sarah Claire Alan as Alexandra
- Saamer Usmani as Martin de Lambert
|Adelaide Kane||Mary Stuart|
|Megan Follows||Queen Catherine|
|Toby Regbo||King Francis|
|Celina Sinden||Lady Greer|
|Caitlin Stasey||Lady Kenna|
|Anna Popplewell||Lady Lola|
|Alan van Sprang||King Henry|
|Jenessa Grant||Lady Aylee|
|Jonathan Keltz||Leith Bayard|
|Sean Teale||Louis Condé|
|Craig Parker||Lord Narcisse|
|Rose Williams||Princess Claude|
|Rachel Skarsten||Queen Elizabeth|
|Charlie Carrick||Robert Dudley|
|Ben Geurens||Gideon Blackburn|
|Dan Jeannotte||James Stuart|
|Will Kemp||King Darnley|
|Jonathan Goad||John Knox|
|Michael Therriault||Aloysius Castleroy|
|Spencer MacPherson||King Charles|
|Nick Slater||Prince Henri|
|Dan Jeannotte||James Stuart|
|Anna Walton||Diane de Poitiers|
|Gil Darnell||Duke of Guise|
|Yael Grobglas||Olivia D'Amencourt|
|Giacomo Gianniotti||Lord Julien|
|Ben Aldridge||King Antoine|
|Amanda Brooks||Amy Dudley|
|Lewis Kirk||Martel de Guise|
|Mark Ghanimé||Don Carlos|
|Nola Augustson||Lady Lennox|
|Steve Lund||Luc Narcisse|
|Adam Croasdell||Lord Bothwell|
|Ann Pirvu||Nicole Touchet|
|Andrew Shaver||David Rizzio|
- Laurie McCarthy (Creator, & Writer)
- Stephanie Sengupta (Creator, & Writer)
- Meredith Markworth-Pollack (Costume Designer)
- Bill Goddard (Producer)
- Brad Silberling (Producer)
- Doris Egan (Writer)
- Drew Lindo (Writer)
- Holly Dale (Director)
- Wendy Riss (Writer)
- Adele Lim (Writer)
- "Scotland" and "Charlie Boy" by The Lumineers,
- "Follow" by Crystal Fighters, "Back to you" by Twin Forks
See more at; Season One - Music
- "The rise of Mary, Queen of Scots."
- "The untold story of Mary, Queen of Scots."
- "Love is the most dangerous subject."
- "Behind the throne..."
- "The Queen. The Prince. The Alliance."
Awards & RatingsEdit
|2014||People's Choice Award||Favorite New TV Drama||Reign|
|2014||Monte-Carlo Television Festival||Outstanding Actor in a Drama Series||Torrance Coombs|
|2014||Monte-Carlo Television Festival||Outstanding Actress in a Drama Series||Adelaide Kane|
|2014||Teen Choice Awards||Breakout Show||Reign|
|2014||Teen Choice Awards||Female Breakout Star||Adelaide Kane|
|2014||Teen Choice Awards||Male Breakout Star||Toby Regbo|
|2014||The Joey Awards||Young Actress age 9 -||Vanessa Carter|
|2014||Hollywood Post Alliance Awards||Outstanding Color Grading – TV||Pilot|
|2015||Canadian Screen Award||Best Actress in Drama||Megan Follows|
|2015||Canadian Screen Award||Best Achievement in Make-Up||Jenny Arbour and Linda Preston|
|2015||Golden Maple Awards||Best Actor||Torrance Coombs and Jonathan Keltz|
|Season||Timeslot||Episode Count||Premiered||Ended||TV season||Rank|| Viewers|
|Date|| Premiere viewers|
|Date|| Finale viewers|
|Season One||Thursday |
|22||October 17, 2013||1.98||May 15, 2014||1.24||2013–2014||#153||1.94|
|Season Two||22||October 2, 2014||1.05||May 19 2015||0.83||2014–2015||#164||1.72|
|Season Three||Friday |
8:00 pm (1–10)
|18||October 9, 2015||0.95||June 20, 2016||0.93||2015–16||#186||0.97|
|Season Four||Friday |
|16||February 10, 2017||0.78||June 16, 2017||0.75||2016–17||#161||1.10|