|Queen Catherine ♔|
|IRL:||History's Catherine de' Medici|
|Real Name:||Catherine de' Medici|
|Title:|| Catherine, Queen of France |
Duchess of Urbino
|Predecessor:||Claude of France|
|Born:||April 13, 1519|
|Originally From:||Florence, Italy|
|Husband:||King Henry †|
|Parents:|| Madeleine de' La Tour d'Auvergne (Mother) |
Lorenzo de', Duke of Urbino (Father)
|Family:||Cortenza de' Medici † (Cousin)|
|Children:|| King Francis † (Son)
Queen Elisabeth (Daughter)
Princess Claude (Daughter)
|Interests:|| Lord Narcisse (On-and-Off)|
|Affiliations:|| French Court|
|Portrayed by:||Megan Follows|
- "I learned long ago, that a secret known by only one person,
remains a secret."
- —Queen Catherine
Queen Catherine, also known as Catherine de' Medici, was born in Italy to the rich and powerful de'Medici family as the daughter of Lorenzo de'Medici, Duke of Urbino and Lord of Florence. She married the future King of France and had ten children, including her favourite child, the late King Francis.
Must See EpisodesEdit
Catherine is a strong, smart and well-educated woman. She loves her sons beyond her own life and has stated that she is willing to walk into hell for them. She no longer cares for her husband's attentions, and ignores his other women, as she is the only woman with the ultimate recognized power worldwide. Nonetheless, she remains a powerful ally and a loyal friend, as well as a resourceful and reliable queen to France and Henry.
When Catherine was a young child, her parents died of illness. The Medici, a powerful Italian family, who were overthrown by the Florentine Republic, and Catherine was held hostage in a convent by the rebels. Threats were made against Catherine to rape her, which was implied to have been carried out at some point. After years of captivity, she was rescued by the forces of Pope Clement VII, who held her in his embrace as he greeted her, giving her back her freedom.
Years later, Pope Clement VII arranged the marriage of Catherine de' Medici to the second son of the French king, Prince Henry. The marriage took place in France when they were both 14 years old. Catherine and Henry were very much in love, even if he had been seeing another woman before their marriage. However, Catherine was surprised when the other woman Diane de Poitiers continued to stay in both their lives. Catherine was very hurt to hear that Diane was pregnant before she was, and was devastated when it turned out to be a boy. However, not long after, Catherine was pregnant and was thrilled when it was born a boy as well. Henry named him Francis, after his older brother. Soon after, she was pregnant with a second child, who she named Elizabeth.
Two years later, Henry's father died, and Henry became the new King of France, making Prince Francis the new heir to the throne. Years passed, and Queen Catherine and King Henry had four more sons and four more daughters. Sadly her second Son died before his 1st birthday, and her twin daughters were murdered as babies.
- Catherine ordered the rape of an unconscious Queen Mary though Colin MacPhail. 
- Catherine orchestrated the deaths of 11 Italians,  12 Scotsman, Colin MacPhail  and Lady Aylee.  She also attempted to murder Lady Kenna,  and personally killed Diane de Poitiers. 
- When Catherine said secrets were best kept between one person it is possible she was talking about her experience while she was held captive in Italy. She didn't tell the girls but she was raped while a prisoner at 8 years old. It's unknown if she told Henry. 
- Catherine and Henry had sexual relations while they were estranged. 
- Revealed she gave birth to a daughter with Richard Delacroix, but left it to die in the woods. 
- Catherine convinced Henry to give her Château de Chenonceau in exchange for her help. 
- There is a picture of Pope Clement VII hanging in Catherine's chambers.
- Catherine has a great deal of information on the human anatomy, including multiple different ways on how to kill a person, with both weapons and poisons. Probably taught to her by Nostradamus.    
- Has her own Personal Bible with the names of all her children written in it. 
- Discovered her husband was poisoned by his personal Bible. 
- Killed Diane de Poitiers for the death of her twin daughters. 
- Revealed she knew her son, Francis, killed her husband after he went mad. 
- Tried to wipeout King Antoine's entire family line, to ensure the reign of her sons. 
- Lost her oldest son, King Francis to a fight agenst English Assasinsts. 
- Recently took a new lover in the castle's servant Christophe.  
- Sebastian attempted to kill her after finding out she'd killed his mother.  
- Catherine harvested Lord Narcisse's horse Arion for steak.
- Megan Follows said her favourite scenes to film were the episodes she was locked in The Tower.   
- Directe her first episode on Reign, Bruises That Lie. 
- Her daughter, Lyla Porter-Follows guest-started in the episode she directed as Ellen Norwood.
- Catherine's full name was Caterina Maria Romula di Lorenzo de' Medici.
- Catherine's parents did die when she was a baby; however, it was from separate sicknesses.
- Pope Clement VII not only saved Catherine de' Medici from being held hostage and raped when she was a child, but prior to that, he had raised and housed her after the death of her parents and grandparent's when she was 4. He was also in attendance for her wedding.
- Mary, Queen of Scots' father, King James V inquired about a marriage to Catherine twice before she married the future King Henry II.
- She was considered a possible bride for Henry Fitzroy, the illegitimate son of King Henry VIII of England.
- Lucrezia de' Medici opposed Pope Clement VII's decision to marry her grand-niece Catherine de' Medici to the future King Henry II of France, wantingt such an important Medici heir to marry within Italy.
- King Francis I and Catherine were very close, and he actually preferred her over his own son, Prince Henry.
- King Francis I's cousin, Princess Madeleine, was the mother of his beloved daughter-in-law, Catherine.
- She was called the "Duchess of Urbino", but she was never officially given the title.
- Prince Henry and Catherine were married when they were both 14. At the time, Henry was Duke of Orleans and third-in-line next to his older brother, Duke Francis while Catherine was only a noble woman.
- Henry knew Diane de Poitiers prior to their marriage, and openly had an affair during the whole marriage.
- Catherine and Diane de Poitiers were cousins. Diane encouraged King Henry II to share Catherine's bed more often to produce children.
- Diane stayed with Catherine when she was sick with scarlet fever and helped nursed her back to health.
- Catherine and Henry had 10 children together, 7 of whom made it to adulthood.
- Henry allowed Catherine almost no political influence as Queen
- Accused of killing Queen Jeanne via poison before the marriage of their children in 1572.
- Catherine does receive Château de Chenonceau but not until after King Henry II's death in 1559.
- Throughout her time as Queen, and Queen Mother Catherine de' Medici enjoyed throwing banquettes so much, and creating such extravagant parties the Kingdom of France annually held Catherine de' Medici's court festivals. She did from 1547 to 1559 as Queen, and Queen Mother from 1559 until her death in 1589.
- Catherine de' Medici is Lucrezia de' Medici's grand-niece.
- Lucrezia de' Medici's son Bernardo Salviati establishing himself in France, he rebuilt the Château de Talcy, and became Grand Almoner to Catherine de' Medici.
- She is alleged to have poisoned Jeanne d'Albret, the wife of King Antoine of Navarre.
- Her husband's illegitimate daughter Diane de France had her remains brought back to Paris for her.
Pages relating to Catherine de' Medici are the following:
• Queen Catherine
• History's Catherine de' Medici
• Catherine's Fashion Style
• Catherine and Francis • Catherine and Clarissa • Catherine and Sebastian
• Catherine & Henry • Catherine & Richard • Catherine & Christophe • Catherine & Narcisse
• Catherine and Mary • Catherine and Nostradamus • Catherine and Diane
• Catherine's Poisons • Catherine's Bible • Catherine's Room • Catherine's Kill Count
• The Flying Squad • House of Medici
• Megan Follows
|King:||Queen:||Catherine de' Medici (Reagent of France)|
|Heir:||Lands:||Kingdom of France|
|Title(s):||Catherine, Queen of France · Queen Dowager · Queen Mother|
|Ancestors:||Lorenzo de' Medici|
|Current members:||Francesca de' Medici · Pietro de' Medici · Roman de' Medici|
|Deceased members:||Pope Clement VII · Cortenza de' Medici|