|Season One, Episode 17|
|Air date||April 10, 2014|
|Written by||Doris Egan|
|Directed by||Allan Kroeker|
|<font-family:Trajan Pro;font color="white">Episode Guide|
- "Years ago he was a loyal man. He has spent his time since becoming a rich and comfortable man"
- —Prince Francis
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
Mary Makes A Fateful Decision
When Mary learns of a secret clause in her marriage contract that her mother, Marie de Guise and Queen Catherine orchestrated, Mary and Francis embark on a dangerous plan to turn Scotland against her mother – and Mary gets her first taste of power as the Queen of Scots.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
Lady Charlotte: Be careful your grace. Without an heir, you're worth more to them dead than alive.
Lady Kenna: I know you think I don't notice anything that isn't a fancy dress or jewel, but strangely enough, I give a damn about my country.
Prince Francis: Years ago he was a loyal man. He has spent his time since becoming a rich and comfortable man.
Queen Mary: I would defy the devil himself if he tried to buy and sell my country!
Queen Mary: My first duty is not to my mother. I am the Queen of Scotland, not the Queen of Marie de Guise.
Queen Catherine: Welcome to being a ruling Queen, Mary. Men will trust you and die. These are the first, but they won't be the last.
King Henry: I get headaches.
Lady Kenna: …I’m so sorry!
Notes[edit | edit source]
- King James V, Nostradamus, and Marie de Guise are all mentioned but do not appear.
- The Flying Squad, The Battle of Solway Moss, and Mary and Francis' Wedding were all discussed.
- Mary Stuart throws her first party with The Scot's Welcome Celebration.
- 'Liege Lord' refers to a Feudal Lords entitled to allegiance and service.
- The young man that appeared before King Henry is most likely his older brother Duke Francis who died at age 18 after playing a tennis match. 
- The Battle of Solway Moss was so important because it was about the Scottish taking a stand agents the English and refusing to change religion. Mary's father ultimately died as a result of the war.
- Catherine had sexual relations with a Scottish man named Liam O'Mally.
- Liam promised not to tell anyone he slept with Catherine, as she was the Queen of France and it could mean both their heads.
- Queen Catherine is responsible for the death of 12 Scotsmen.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Adelaide Kane wore a Temperley London Long Crystal Stud Dress a the start of the episode, and an Oscar de la Renta Plaid-print Pleated Silk-chiffon Gown during The Scot's Welcome Celebration
- Kane wore an Ellen Conde Swarovski White Pearls Small Cross Necklace during the Scots party.
- Amy Groening returns as Lady Charlotte.
Historical Notes[edit | edit source]
- 4 April 1558 Mary, Queen of Scots knowingly signed The Crown Matrimonial, a secret agreement bequeathing Scotland and her claim to England to the French crown if she died without children.
- The Battle of Solway Moss was a real battle between Scotland and England. However King James never fought, and fled the battle, only to die soon after.
- Mary Fleming was born in 1542, the same year her father was taken prisoner by the English at The Battle of Solway Moss.
Characters[edit | edit source]
- Credit Order
|Adelaide Kane||Mary Stuart|
|Megan Follows||Queen Catherine|
|Toby Regbo||Prince Francis|
|Celina Sinden||Greer Norwood|
|Caitlin Stasey||Lady Kenna|
|Anna Popplewell||Lady Lola|
|Alan van Sprang||King Henry|
|Giacomo Gianniotti||Lord Julien|
|Andrew Airlie||Lord McKenzie|
|Orlando Seale||Liam O'Mally|
|Amy Groening||Lady Charlotte|
|Brendan Cox||Duke Francis|
|Katie Strain||Brothel Twin|
|Karissa Strain||Brothel Twin|
Videos[edit | edit source]