|King Francis II ♔|
|IRL:||History's King Francis|
|Real Name:||Francis II of France|
|Title:|| King of France
|Next in Line:||Charles IX|
|Born:||19 January 1544|
|Originally From:||Palace of Fontainebleau, France|
|Current Location:||Paris, France|
|Parents:|| King Henry II † (Father)
Queen Catherine (Mother)
|Family:|| Sebastian (Half-brother)
Queen Elisabeth (Sister)
|Children:|| John Philip|
Unborn Child With Mary †
|Interests:|| Lady Amelie (Former) |
|Affiliations:|| Kingdom of France |
Kingdom of Scotland
|Portrayed by:||Toby Regbo|
- "The world can be dark Mary, and uncertain and cruel. The only thing that really matters is that we face it together. Whatever the future brings, you are my light."
- —King Francis to Queen Mary
King Francis was The Dauphin of France, later ascending to the throne as King Francis II after his father, King Henry II died. Francis was the son of the late King Henry and Queen Catherine. He married Queen Mary of Scots, to whom he had been betrothed to since they were children. Before his marriage, Francis had a son, John Philip with Lady Lola out of wedlock.
Must See EpisodesEdit
- Hearts and Minds
- Long Live The King
- Terror of the Faithful
- In A Clearing
- Tempting Fate
Though dashing and handsome, Francis is a bit of a hot-head and a little temperamental. When clear-headed, Francis always tries to do the right thing for himself, the people around him, and his country. He is loyal and compassionate. However, Francis is a little possessive and immature, and can be passive aggressive, even sleeping with Olivia D'Amencourt and Lady Lola to exact revenge on Mary Stuart who he had a complicated relationship with at the time. Prior to that, he had given his blessing to Mary and Sebastian. Though, not wanting to follow in his father's footsteps, he tried to make amends for each incident. Francis strongly believes in the value of family and tries to have a good relationship with his younger siblings, but was the closest to his older brother, and tried emulate him when they were younger. Francis is sweet and thoughtful, very charming and an understanding person.
Queen Mary of Scotland and Prince Francis of France met when they were both 6 years old after a marriage treaty was instigated between the two by King Henry, Queen Catherine and Marie de Guise. They were introduced at French Court and played together along with Francis' older half-brother, Sebastian. They were considered playmates and were educated together while in the French Court. As such, they were constantly seen running up and down the stairs, making fun of each other and playing games in the courtyard.
Two years later, Mary was forced to leave French Court after an assassination attempt on her life was made by the English. She was taken to a convent far away for her safety, where she remained until her return at the age of sixteen.
- A Grain Of Deception - (Mentioned)
Gideon Blackburn visited John Philip with his new nanny. She told him John had trouble falling asleep, and missed his mother, adding he'd lost much. His father, mother, and his last caregiver. They found her with the boy and brought them back to court, but an infection took her strangely quick.
- Leaps of Faith - (Mentioned)
Narcisse and Catherine are reunited at French Court, along with John Philip. Catherine thanked Narcisse for returning John, and promises to protect him, to honour Francis and Lola, and as his stepfather, he would always be in his life. But Narcisse doesn’t want that, John has Lola's eyes and he can't look at him.
Elizabeth and Gideon brought up Mary Stuart, and Gideon asked to marry Mary, with Elizabeth's blessing. Gideon insisted Mary was not like her, or even Catherine. She never angled to be Queen, and was crowned at six days old, and it had cost her everything. Her husband, Francis, whom she adored, and her best friend, Lola. She only wanted is to be happy and have a family, now power.
- Unchartered Waters - (Mentioned)
Of the arriving guest to witness Mary and Darnley's Catholic wedding, few are as important as Lucrezia de' Medici. She lends legitimacy and strength both to Queen Mary's Scottish rule and Queen Mary and Lord Darnley's joint claims to the English Throne.
However, after Lord Darnley jokingly insulted King Francis, Lucrezia withdrew her support and set sail for the following day back to Florence. Mary was very upset over this, because if the Duchess left, she took her support and the promise of funding with her. Lucrezia agreed to reconsider if she was given the lands belonging to Lord Theodore Davies. The lands were quite valuable, and come with a title, The Earldom of Menteith. Only with this exchange would she continue supporting Mary's rule. 
- Francis was named after his father's older brother, Prince Francis I. 
- Nostradamus made a Prediction about Francis and Mary that follows them throughout the series.
- If Francis and Mary wed, it will cost young Francis' his life. 
- Franics was taught how to sword fight from his older brother Sebastian. 
- Francis has said to have no problem with someone that shares their bed with the same sex. 
- Married Queen Mary in a lavish wedding ceremony on 4 April 1558. 
- Killed his own father, King Henry in a jousting competition while pretending to be Lord Montgomery. 
- Mary was pregnant with his child, but lost it soon after. 
- Francis has already, unknowingly started The French Wars of Religion after Lord Narcisse forced him to sign an edict agents Protestants. 
- Mary was raped by two Protestant extremists, when they were unable to find and kill him. 
- Francis ordered the death of 21 Protestants for the rape of Mary.
- Was seen carpeting a boat, something he has not done in years.  
- Has his mother's spies working for him. Possibly including The Flying Squad. 
- Died protecting his wife, Mary Queen of Scotts. 
- Francis is responsible for over 30 deaths. He stabbed Tomás of Portugal,  cut off the hand of Count Vincent,  in defence of Mary Stuart, and later while at war he killed a possible dozen English soldiers.  He is also responsible for his father's death,  and ordered the death of Lord Montgomery,  21 Protestants,  and King Antoine's person body guard. 
- Francishas had sexual encounters with (at least) five women, and take the virtues of Olivia D'Amencourt,  Natalia Tianná,  and Mary Stuart.   He also had a child with Lady Lola  and a one-night stand with Lady Amelie. 
- Toby Regbo and Alan van Sprang are the only main characters to not appear in every episode of Season 1.
- Francis does not appear in Sacrifice and Inquisition in Season One.
- Toby Regbo said that the crown made for him was too big and had to be re-sized to fit around his ears. 
- King Francis II was named after his paternal grandfather, King Francis I, and uncle Prince Francis I.
- Prince Francis was born 11 years and 3 months after his parent's were married.
- Francis had 3 half-siblings from her father's mistresses, and 9 more siblings from his parent's marriage.
- Francis and Mary were engaged when he was 4, and Mary, Queen of Scots was 5.
- Prince Francis was 13 in the year 1557, the start of Season One.
- Francis and Mary's public wedding took place on 24 of April in 1558 at the Church of Notre Dame in Paris.
- King Francis II died on 5 December 1560 when he was 16 from Syncope.
- Francis was described as sickly and abnormally short, and eventually died of an ear infection.
- Francis once informed his wife that Count Philipe Nardin was possibly homosexual, and stated his business was his own. This accepting outlook would be a rare opinion to have during the Renaissance.
- Mary, Queen of Scots had briefly met her future husband, Henry Stuart, Lord Darnley in February 1561 when she was in mourning for King Francis II. Darnley's parents, Lord and Lady Lennox, who were Scottish aristocrats as well as English landowners, had sent him to France ostensibly to extend their condolences while hoping for a potential match between the two.
|Three Queens, Two Tigers||Betrothed||Extreme Measures||The Price||In A Clearing||Fight or Flight||The Hound and the Hare||Our Undoing||Wedlock|
|Bruises That Lie||Succession||No Way Out||Strange Bedfellow||To The Death||Safe Passage||Clans||Intruders||Spiders In a Jar|
|With Friends Like These||A Grain Of Deception||Leaps of Faith||Playing With Fire||Highland Games||Love & Death||Hanging Swords||Unchartered Waters|
|Pulling Strings||A Better Man||Dead of Night||The Shakedown||Coup de Grace||A Bride. A Box. A Body.||Blood in the Water||All It Cost Her|
Pages relating to King Francis are the following:
• King Francis
• History's King Francis
• Francis and Mary's Wedding • King Francis' Coronation
• Francis and king Henry • Francis and Sebastian • Francis and Queen Catherine
• king Francis and Queen Mary • Prince Francis and Olivia
• Francis and Leith • King Francis and Lady Lola
• Francis' Kill Count • Francis's Room
• Toby Regbo
|King:||Charles Valois||Queen:||Catherine de' Medici (Regent)|
|Heir:||Lands:||Kingdom of France|
|Title(s):||King of France · King Charles IX of France|
|Ancestors:||King Francis I Valois of France|
|Current members:||Queen Elisabeth · Princess Claude · Prince Henri · Princess Margaret · Sebastian · |
|Deceased members:||Prince Louis · Princess Henriette · Princess Emone · King Henry · King Francis|